WRS, Inc., the developer overhauling Underground Atlanta, this week revealed new renderings of its four-block downtown re-development specifically Block 3, the area located at the Southwest corner of Central and Alabama known as Kenny’s Alley.
Featuring more than 150,000 square feet of retail, office and communal areas, construction on Block 3 began in January, four months ahead of schedule, and will be complete in 12 to 14 months.
S9 Architecture is behind the architectural improvements which include:
- The removal of the former Underground Atlanta food court along Central Avenue. This will open up the alley level to the street as shown in the above rendering.
- WRS is opening up the “Exchange” building to Upper Alabama to provide more of an open-air connected corridor between Kenny’s Alley and Upper Alabama.
- Replacement of all retail windows with modern/industrial office storefronts that will be customized based on tenant size.
- Repair of the c 1882 Block Candy Co building at 86 Pryor, and replacement of its 1980’s storm windows with historically-accurate and energy efficient ones.
- Removal of 1980’s “mall” touches like escalators and miscellaneous metal screening.
- Repair and repaint all façades with addition(s) of street art and murals throughout.
- Reworking interior access so that it functions more like an office/workshop space rather than a circuitous mall.
“It is important for us to modernize this footprint while restoring and keeping as much of the charm as we can of this iconic area,” Scott Smith, CEO of WRS, Inc., said in a prepared statement.
“We are investing a great deal in the structural safety of Block 3 while upgrading systems including all new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. We are working to bring everything to current code including new windows, lighting and new water quality measures for future tenants and patrons.”
Block 3 is also the permanent home of The Masquerade, who recently finished cosmetic renovations and the coworking pop-up Post-Office Cowork and coffee shop at 86 Pryor.