Last month, Spelman College submitted a building permit application to construct a new 83,711 square foot mixed-use building located at 350 Spelman Lane SW.
Spelman College Center for Innovation and the Arts is a new five-story building constructed on an existing parking lot on Spelman’s campus. The building consists of practice and rehearsal rooms, fabrication shops, small theaters, digital production rooms, classrooms, offices, museum galleries, study areas, terraces, an elevated walkway connecting to campus at grade. In addition, a 1,010-shell space component for potential retail use is located on grade.
Earlier this month, The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation announced that the college would receive a $10 million grant to support the on-campus creative hub slated to open in 2024.
The contractor for the new building project is Turner Construction Company, which estimated the project to cost $64 million. The building permit application lists Studio Gang and Goode Van Slyke Architects as the project architect.
“Spelman is investing in the integration of art and technology as the rapid convergence of art, technology, entrepreneurship, the liberal arts, and science is yielding new solutions to old challenges,” said Mary Schmidt Campbell, Ph.D., president of Spelman. “The new facility will be a dynamic state-of-the-art learning environment that encourages not only disciplinary mastery in the arts but provides curricular opportunities for innovative solutions to persistent urban problems. The design of the Center is a catalyst for interdisciplinary interaction. A Forum invites participation from multiple disciplines across campus and a Hive, or network of connected spaces, encourages interdisciplinary experimentation, collaboration, active play and research.”
According to the college website, founded in 1881 as the Atlanta Baptist Female Seminary, the school changed its name and became Spelman College in 1924. With more than 2,100 students from forty-three states and ten countries, the college has become a global leader in the education of women of African descent.
Studio Gang Architects is the architect. Goode VanSlyke is their local partner
Leave a comment