Listen To This Post
The oldest home in Smyrna is on the market. Known as Boxwood Cottage, the house was built before the Civil War in 1841 on land awarded in the Gold Land Lottery of 1832. Built by John Gann, the first state senator of Cobb County, the land was said to be a bargain. According to Gann family legend, the home was spared during the Battle of Atlanta after a Yankee general spotted a Mason flag that Captain John Gann placed outside of the house. Following the executive orders of General Sherman, officers attempted to torch the house until a superior officer noticed the Masonic banner and ordered the flames be extinguished.
Purchased in 2012 for $412,000, Boxwood Cottage was renovated from top to bottom in 2015. Now, this 3-bed/3.5-bath home is on the market for $1,075,000. CopperSky Renovations led the year-long $850,000+ remodel, complete with a 2,000 sq. ft. addition. The one-story property sits on 1.281 acres.
The interior features many of home’s original elements, like 12-foot ceilings, heart pine floors, walk-out windows, and Victorian trims from the 1870s. Landscaped gardens encompass the yard with the back of the house opening into a private, gated, Charleston style brick courtyard, a nod to the home’s history.
The late owner’s personality and unique sense of humor can be spotted throughout in the stained-glass windows found at the front and side doors, the exterior paint of coral and green, and the Caribbean-colored kitchen. Custom-made individual jonquils are used as posts on the iron railing wrapping the front patio and each doorknob, bronze hardware and hinge were specially designed.
No exterior changes can be made without approval by the Cobb County Historic Preservation Committee as the home is a member of the Concord Covered Bridge Historic District.
Today, a Masonic symbol can still be found in the attic and scorched timbers in the basement crawl space.
The home was recently listed through Jill Huitron with Harry Norman, REALTORS® and is located at 201 Concord Rd. SW, Smyrna, GA 30082.