Local barbecue restaurant Daddy D’z is going to get some competition soon in Grant Park with the arrival of DAS BBQ which is set to replace The Harp, at 350 Memorial Drive, this November, as first reported by Eater Atlanta Wednesday. It will be the second location for DAS BBQ, boasting 50 indoor seats, 75 outdoor seats, a full bar, and a large smokehouse.
Pitmaster Stephen Franklin, who could also be opening a shipping container DAS BBQ, told What Now Atlanta (WNA) that the ideal estimated date of opening is Halloween weekend, but it may end up being delayed until the first of December. He said that the licensing and permitting has been delaying the process.
Currently, the first location, which opened three years ago in the Underwood Hills neighborhood, only serves beer and wine, and it has approximately 50 percent less seating than the upcoming location.
Menu items include sliced brisket, half-rack ribs, pulled pork, chopped chicken, sliced turkey, and sausages with sides like collards, cream corn, and Brunswick stew.
Franklin told WNA that the first location opened in 2017. Barbecue has been a big part of his family history with a father who is a sanctioned barbecue judge and a mother who is from Texas.
“People ask all the time, ‘What kind of barbecue are you?'” said Franklin. “Our methodology is really a combination of Texas and East Coast … with the simplicity of Texas menus and some of the innovativeness, and savory, and sweet flavors of the East Coast influences.”
He is currently considering adding more small outposts in the city, but nothing new has been set in stone yet.
WNA previously reported in June of this year that there was “near overwhelming demand” for the site, which previously housed The Harp. Philippe Pellerin and the real estate developer’s company Pellerin Real Estate repossessed its tenant space after filing a lawsuit that alleged that The Harp did not pay rent for several months.